Sorry, no photo. 🙂 I fail at foodblogging. In reality, we scarfed it so quickly that I didn’t have time.
Things I liked:
- this is awesome for kids. The sauce is tasty but on the bland side, so it works for kid palates. My first thought was, hey, it’s like an intro to Asian for kids (did you note the ketchup in the ingredients)!
- the onions cooked down to just about nothing. they were practically indiscernable from the sauce and chicken
- recipe yielded enough to feed us one night and have a container to freeze for another night. Not bad for a quick prep. Yes, I had to buy hoisin sauce, but I’ve since found a few other recipes to experiment with to use it up.
- loved having the recipe tell you to drain off the cooking liquid. wahoo!
Things I didn’t like:
- the ribs didn’t stay intact for me. Which is fine, but it ended up served similar to a pulled pork, slathered over rice. I just have no idea how someone cooked the ribs in a slow cooker for 10 hours and had them look like the photo on the original recipe site. I like accurate photos. Grr. (says the one who didn’t even take one, I know)
- it was a little on the bland side. If I was making it again, for just suitNtie and I, I would probably spice it up a bit. A little heat behind the sweet in the sauce would have gone a long way for me.
Originally from here.
2 lb boneless country-style pork loin ribs
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, sliced
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
3/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
Hot cooked rice, if desired
1. Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray ( I used a slow cooker liner, so I can’t verify whether this will actually keep stuff from sticking or not). Place pork ribs, garlic and onion in slow cooker. Spoon about half of the pineapple with some of the juice over ribs. Reserve remaining pineapple and juice.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
3. About 35 minutes before serving, drain and discard cooking juices from slow cooker; wipe edge of slow cooker clean. In small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, gingerroot and remaining pineapple with juice. Spoon or pour evenly over ribs. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 25 to 30 minutes longer or until ribs are glazed. Serve with rice.